Serving the pioneering spirit
This community was named for Major General George Crook, a Civil War veteran and Indian fighter. The town began in 1881 along the south side of the railroad tracks with a store and post office. By 1928, it had a population of more than 300 residents served by five filling stations, eight churches, four general stores, two elevators, a lumber yard, bank, drug store, hotel, auto dealer, meat market, cafÃ©, blacksmith, creamery, shoe shop, barber, pool hall, telephone exchange, real estate office and post office.
Much of the old downtown of Crook remains along the north side of Highway 138. At the corner of 4th Street and 4th Avenue is the Crook Museum, open by appointment by calling 970-886-2713. It was formerly the Presbyterian Church. Behind the museum is a railroad coach built in 1874. It was moved with wheels and a crane to its present location and is being restored by the Crook Historical Society. Several other old churches are located in the community. You can learn more about the community by visiting the museum.