Logan County Economic Development Corporation
Sunday, June 25, 2017

sterling
Sterling
atwood
Atwood
crook
Crook
dailey
Dailey
fleming
Fleming
iliff
Iliff
merino
Merino
padroni
Padroni
peetz
Peetz
proctor
Proctor
willard
Willard

Dailey, Colorado

To the faithful, the memories are still strong

The “Highline” railroad from Sterling to Holdrege, NE was built in the early 1900s through eastern Logan County. The first building in the new town of Dailey was a General Store, built in 1914 by a few area farmers, so that need supplies would be available. Today, the same “Dailey Cash Store” can be seen and visited at the Overland Trail museum at Sterling, CO. In 1915, a 12-grade brick school house was built and completed for the start of school in 1916. This was the first “Consolidated” school in the state and the first to use school buses. The next few years were favorable for farmers, and crops were good; unfortunately, they didn’t last. Though new businesses (including a lumber yard, grain elevator, bank, Chevrolet dealership, blacksmith and several filling stations) were opened, the “Dirty Thirties” hit and the weather became dry. Sand and tumbleweeds blew into the fence rows. “Times turned rough.” The grasshoppers ate everything that the rabbits didn’t. US Highway 6 was being built from Sterling east to Nebraska, which enabled people to transport themselves and their goods to larger nearby towns. Dailey never regained strength after the 1930s. Not much of Dailey remains today, but to the faithful, the memories remain strong.