Headquarters of the cattle king
This town was platted in 1887 and named for John C. Iliff, a pioneer cattleman of the 1860s and 1870s, who owned 15,000 acres of waterholes and surrounding land in Northeast Colorado, and controlled 150,000 more acres, on which he ran 25,000 to 50,000 head of cattle. He was one of the biggest operators in the region. Today, the Iliff areaâ€™s claim to fame is being home to John Korrey, an international auctioneering champion. It is a large agriculture area where many farms and ranches exist.
The towns pump dating from 1890 remains in the center of town, but the water is no longer drinkable. St. Catherineâ€™s Catholic Church was built in 1927. The large building alongside the church is the old rectory. Also remaining is the bank and the dance hall-opera house, both built during the early 1900s. In its prime time, Iliff was home to two garages, two pool halls, the post office, a grocery, a mercantile, the Iliff Independent newspaper, school, Baptist Church, hardware, cafÃ©, dentist, doctor, drug store, barber, blacksmith, hotel, livery stable, theater and elevator. It is a bedroom community with most residents traveling to work in Sterling or nearby Sidney, Nebraska.