Born of water
Padroni was platted in 1910, with a post office, store, lumber yard and section house at the railroad siding, all created to serve the construction of the North Sterling Reservoir. As reservoir water became available to irrigate area farms the town grew. In 1928 it had two stores, a garage, pool hall, two elevators, a beet dump, blacksmith, bar, creamery, telephone exchange, depot, school, post office, church and a bank. Today it is home to a post office, a country saloon nightspot, and a few other entrepreneurial enterprises. An old lumberyard can still be seen across the road from the tracks. On the south side of Main Street the St. Clare Hotel still stands. The old school on the north side of town was built in 1919 and was famous for its community buffalo suppers in the 1950s. Also on the northwest side of town is the old Baptist Church. The parsonage just north of the church was built in 1945 of dismantled ammunition boxes from the Sioux Army Ordinance Depot in Sidney, Nebraska.