Home of the famous Blue Ranch
The town of Proctor was established in 1908 and was named after General Proctor, an Indian fighter who had come to Logan County at the same time that General Crook was here. J.D. Blue, a pioneer from Cedar Rapids, Iowa arrived in the area with some friends and purchased a 5,000-acre tract of land surrounding the town site. As the Union Pacific Railroad was making its way across the west, it built a station on land it purchased from Mr. Blue. The Proctor State Bank was organized in 1909 and the president was a Mr. George A. Henderson, who later established himself in Sterling. His name appears on a building at the corner of 3rd Street and Main. The Proctor Lumber Company and Lamb and Lamb general merchandise store was started shortly after the bank. A store, complete with a post office inside was opened as well. The Great Western Sugar Company eventually maintained a huge beet dump at Proctor to aid in getting one of the areaâ€™s main crops to market. A great deal of corn, wheat and hay has always been grown in the area. Cattle ranching and feedlots continue to thrive here. Today, Proctor is what many would consider a ghost town. There are some residents in the area and remnants from the past include an old blacksmith shop and garage. It is a popular site for quail, pheasant and waterfowl hunting. Fishing in nearby Jumbo Reservoir is some of the best in this part of Colorado.